Monday, September 1, 2008

Being Grandma

Six years ago, my husband, mother and I moved to our new home. My husband and I had one married child who seemed intent to remain childless. My oldest son just couldn't seem to make up his mind about seriously dating and my daughter was still in college. All was as normal as it could be. Then upon telling everyone that we decided to move and live with my mother, my oldest found the love of his life, and my daughter was still attending college. Well, that seemed okay. Two years into living semi-retired, both son and daughter tell us that they are getting married. My daughter, to a young man that had a 2 yr. old. Hurray for me, I am finally a grandparent. My first grandchild was to be a girl. Then the son who was married and content being childless informs us we are to be grandparents again. Oh boy! this time a grandson. Our oldest informed us of our third grandchild, a girl. Yes! number 3. Then another was soon born later to them, but unfortunately she did not live. Sorrow...number 4. This year numbers 5 a boy, and 6, a girl were born. Now I have my grandchildren. It is no longer normal. We get calls to sit, to visit, to help out. It is wonderful, happy times, and exhausting too. We love almost every minute.
This passed week was spent with grand kids. First our daughter, called to help enroll her stepdaughter into school. They needed to work and she would be alone. Sure, I put my super grandparent cape into the bag and went for a visit. I got to sleep on the couch, have 2 dogs jump on me and a little girl, now 7 yrs. jump into my arms when she was frighten of the oceans waves as they first approached her. Then she pulled me into the waves the second time. We both laughed and giggled the whole time.
On returning home, I was able to visit my grand daughters here in this area. The newest is getting to look like a baby. Her legs and arms have filled out and she is holding her head upright, looking around to see new things.
Later in the week, my husband and I were able to be with our grandsons as they went to the zoo and a science museum. Sharing special animals, seeing and touching new things. No one can take these memories from us. It is such a blessing to have our grand kids in our lives.

1 comment:

Debbie T said...

Isn't being a grandma the best?!?!? It's my favorite thing to be and Scooter and I have two more due within the next 3 months! Don't ask me how many that is combined, but it's very close to twenty between the two of us...whew!!